Co-mingling

Co-mingling
An example of how the species interacted in the wild, a herd of elephants and a couple of giraffe crossed paths and were available for a photo opportunity.

Hippos

Hippos
A group of hippopotamus's enjoying the mud, water, and sunshine. But, do not get too near, or they will charge!!

Crafty

Crafty
A mask at the market in McCooney. A display of both the skill of the artisans and the way we felt a bit deceived of their lifestyle

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls
The corner of Victoria Falls, we couldn't see any more because of the mist. There are pictures of the entire thing on google images if you want to see what the entire thing looks like.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

London Friday, May 14, 2010

We landed mid-day in London tired from the overnight flight but determined to make the most of a 7 hour layover. We checked a few bags and then found tickets on the Underground (metro/subway) and headed into downtown London. We saw Trafalger Square, the Canadian Embassy (woot woot), Big Ben, Parliament, and Westminster Abbey. We had not planned our excursion beforehand so the team did not see as much as we wanted to. I guess that is just a good excuse to come back...

I’m pretty sure the group was embarrassed with me when we walked into a small convenience store and I located the small TIM HORTONS outlet. I was very excited to be eating Timmy’s in London after missing it for a semester in the States. It was not the freshest Boston Creme I’d ever had but it did ease the hunger for a while. (Confession: I may or may not have kept the bag and made sure it was in a few pictures of London.) It was definitely cool to walk around London for a while knowing that my country originated from there. A few Englishmen commented on my Canadian flags that I had on my bag and welcomed me to the home of the commonwealth. It was a very friendly atmosphere and at that point I was proud to be Canadian.

Other than that, we ended up catching another overnight flight to Johannesburg. This ended the day. We were glad that London went smoothly and that nobody got separated from the group in the large crowds. Additionally, the British Airways strike had not gone into effect yet which we were also thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment